Monday, November 10, 2008

Perlus waterfall, PART 2


My leech sock and my boots

This is a continuation to my recent Perlus waterfall trip. After my first trip to Perlus, I realize that I had to take extra gear with me. Leeches are aplenty along the trail to Perlus. They are everywhere. So…leech sock is a must this time. I make do without socks, tucked my pants in and had the leech socks up.

Yup…I have my jungle boots on. It’s the only pair of shoes that will actually give me the support and grip that I need on the trail. The trail is mostly wet, muddy and slippery. Other things I packed extra for this trip was my UHF radio and my GPS. I want to record the route as much as I can.

Cars were parked at local Orang Asal’s house. Sali was not around but his porcupine friend finally decides to show itself. It came out, though I doubt to greet the morning’s visitors, grabbed some fruits and quickly ran back to its hole in the cement walled ‘compound’.


Say cheese Mr Porcupine



Camera shy Mr Porcupine decides to head back into it’s ‘hole’


A bit of briefing to the entire group and a few minutes later, we were already on our way to Perlus waterfall. John, being a nature guide had the whole group interested in plants and the surrounding when he stopped and shared about them.


Nature Guide John Chan sharing some of his knowledge on useful plants



The Senduduk or Melastoma malabathricum is known to be used for the treatment of piles, high blood pressure and diabetes


This useful Senduduk plant also has purplish fruits that can be eaten. A good jungle plant to look for in case of a survival situation.


The fruit of Senduduk can be eaten


The initial part of the trail saw mostly small orchards planted with banana, durians and some local guava. Gradually the trail change it’s look and became more ‘wild’.


The initial part of the trail passes through some orchards


The trail soon became more ‘off road’ and the scenery that surrounds us began to change. The jungle became denser and shouts of ‘leeches!’ began ringing among the group. The terrain too gradually became steeper. All part of a good hike...(to be continued)