Sunday, November 9, 2008

Perlus waterfall, PART 1

Okay…in one of my previous blog entry, I was preparing myself for a hike into Perlus waterfall with Nature Guide John Chan. This is my second time going into Perlus and I am all excited and at the same time a bit scared as we will actually be accompanying a group. My concern weren’t really about safety and group management but more of whether I can catch up with them. My stamina as a 5 days week pencil pusher isn’t exactly something to be proud about.
My ‘first’ experience with Perlus waterfall can be described as exhausting. I remembered upon arriving at the waterfall, I spent at least 20 minutes napping on a rock. Though I am not sure whether it is due to the fatigue of perhaps due to the big packet of nasi lemak I just whacked when I got there. It felt like heaven either way. The rock I choose was in the middle of the river, flat enough for me to lie down comfortably but perhaps a bit short for my height. The sound of cascading water and the cool mist filled breeze is simply awesome. I was in heaven.

I jumped on the opportunity to join John on this trip. Learning from my first experience, I was in a away more prepared this time. I was determined to keep the leeches out this time. I had all my gear packed the night before. As usual, Meun feels that its an overkill but I’d rather bring whatever I need than having to look for alternatives later on. 6 am the following morning, the Vitara is packed up and I am on the way to Hulu Langat.

The landmark and usual meeting point is the mosque of course. We arrived early and straight away dived in for a hearty breakfast (to me at least). At a nearby shop, I manage to buy these fruits. Considered a delicacy, from the same category of Petai and Jering, I give you ‘Buah Kerdas’. In the Klang valley people would refer it to Kerdas but some parts of Kedah would call it ‘Buah Genuak’ (Buah means fruit in Malay language). On wikipedia, seems like the plant has a scientific name of Pithecellobium bubalinu.


Buah Kerdas or Genuak


These ones are fresh. Just harvested from the nearby jungle. The inside ‘nuts’ are still green but after a while, they will turn dark brown, almost black. It there is an ‘ulam’ (eaten raw) that stinks...I would say this is the mother of all ulam. Unlike Petai where the aftermath stinking sensation usually occurs after consumoption through piss, the Kerdas make its presences right from the fruit itself.

Despite their smell, they are really wonderful eating. They are really crunchy and rich. The moment you bite onto them, the aroma will already begin to envelop your mouth. Its not really a bad smell once you get used to it. I like it. The locals believe that this fruit will help to cleanse your kidneys. The result? You will smell it permeating from your piss just a few hours later.

To be continued…


Click here to read Part 2, Part 3 (plants), Part 4 (animals) and the final part of my Perlus rainforest waterfall adventure.